The Voting Action Team was inspired and honored by the Share the Plate donations from members of over $2,000. We thank every one of you for your contributions, which allowed us (and many of you) to work together to protect our democracy. Leading up to election day in Nov. 2020, we worked with the League of Women Voters and many individuals throughout our community to get people registered and then get out the vote and to support get-out-the-vote efforts in Spartanburg, in Greenville, and nationwide. Our efforts included:
- Purchased and distributed 3,000 door hangers encouraging people to register and to be informed voters during July and August. Updated our wayside pulpit to encourage first, voter registration, and then, early voting.
- We purchased four banners advertising early voting: at Sptg Memorial Auditorium, UUCS, Mt Moriah Baptist Church, and Bunton Institute CME, on Wofford St.
- We packed lunches, snacks and facemasks for volunteer drivers who transported voters to 27 poll sites in underserved areas.
- And some of us were poll managers, poll workers, poll watchers, and poll monitors.
- NATIONALLY: the voting justice team voted to contribute $500 to the Poor People’s Campaign, which (among many other efforts) worked to provide voter protection support in 10 key states— Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Texas — during 2020’s general electoral cycle.
- Encouraged congregation to join Election Day Evening event TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2020 AT 9 PM EST A M.O.R.E. Prophetic Vote Election Night Service with the poorpeoplescampaign.