May 11 – LGBTQ Theologies: What LGBTQ Spiritual Leaders Say About Their Faith
Modified on: May 8, 2019
On Saturday, May 11, a group of Spartanburg clergy will host a day-long event centered on LGBTQ
theologians and spiritual leaders. These thinkers will share their own theological understanding of
themselves and our world—beyond the arguments straight clergy have about LGBTQ people’s lives,
even when expressing support.
The immediate goals of this gathering are two-fold:
1. To affirm and encourage the freedom and creativity of LGBTQ people to develop and live their own
2. To offer a setting in which straight allies can suspend their own theological views and listen to what
LGBTQ people say about their own spiritualities.
The long term goal of this gathering is to continue building a network of congregants and congregations
working together to support the LGBTQ community in Spartanburg.
Please spread the word, and join us. Registration is free; lunch will be served; all are welcome.
- Title: LGBTQ Theologies: What LGBTQ Spiritual Leaders Say About Their Faith
- Date: Saturday, May 11
- Time: 8:30am-3:00pm
- Location: Spartanburg Methodist College Chapel
- Registration: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lgbtq-theologies-what-lgbtq-spiritual-leaders-say-about-their-faith-tickets-59320806128?fbclid=IwAR3zTNB5oaGv-x9ow8nyIyAiaU3J2FbpFuE2pm0B3zoMoBNxtCApDoZbiZg
- Dr. Caroline Caldwell, Executive Director of New Mind Health & Care; Upstate Pride SC Board Member
- Shelton Ridge Love, Organist at First Baptist Church-Greenville, SC
- Ashley Penn, Poet & activist; PrideLink Advisory Committee Member
- Davelyn Hill, Spiritual Director; Facilitator with Speaking Down Barriers
- Dr. Cody Sanders, Pastor of Old Cambridge Baptist Church in Cambridge, Massachusetts; American Baptist Chaplain to Harvard University; advisor for LGBTQ+ Affairs in the Office of Religious, Spiritual, & Ethical Life at MIT http://www.oldcambridgebaptist.org/about-us/our-staff/58-the-rev-cody-j-sanders-ph-d-pastor
- Dr. Tom Norrell, Senior Pastor at Central United Methodist Church
- Dr. John Simmons, Elder at Central United Methodist Church
- Rev. Sue Perrin, Minister for STAR (Sacred Rituals and Traditions) & Episcopal Deacon
- Rev. Tim Drum, Chaplain at Spartanburg Methodist College
- Anne Garner, Intern at UUCS / Chair of Deacons at First Baptist Church-Greenville
- Rev. Scott Neely, Minister at UUCS
« Back to Previous Page